META’s take on Twitter
Meta has a long history of mimicking products and product features of competitors.
Most if not all of the efforts have been met with meh. Will this time be different?
We are in a brief moment of time between the products announcement and its debut.
What are the expectations? There are some clear wins that could help insure success.
- – Keeping the Core Functionality: To make Threads a game-changer, it must retain Twitter’s essential features that made it successful: real-time, open, and free. These three elements formed the backbone of Twitter’s survival until it fell into the wrong hands, eroding its legacy value and driving away intelligent users.
- – Embracing Real-Time Openness: Streamlining Onboarding and Data Usage: To make transitioning to Threads seamless, an import function to import social graphs and a user-friendly API are crucial. Users should be able to effortlessly bring their connections from other platforms to Threads.
- – Privacy Opportunity – Be there, be square, don’t be a data pig. Prioritize user privacy and avoid excessive data collection, EU regulations and others are scoping to new data realities for platforms. Why collect unnecessary information. Be smart about retention and use cases. Ban individual targeted advetisting from the start.
- – Utility Fork for Governments and Organizations: To cater to different user segments, Threads can create a separate utility fork designed specifically for governments and organizations. This fork can include features such as user agent identification, media authentication, and dedicated tools tailored to their unique needs, making Threads a versatile platform for a wider user base.
- – Empowering Users with Curation and Tuning Features: Give users the ability to curate their content and fine-tune their feeds. Allowing users to filter out unwanted content and customize their preferences will enhance their sense of ownership and personalization, leading to a more enjoyable and tailored experience. Twitter tried to this a platform level which was not the optimal path.
- – Enhancing Functionality: Bookmarks for saving and revisiting important posts will greatly enhance the user experience. Improved video uploading capabilities to ensure a smooth and hassle-free process, along with realistic durations,
- – Gradual Monetization Approach: The platform should be ad-free for a initial period of time, allowing users to fully appreciate its value. After this initial period, a commercial layer can be introduced, ensuring ads are relevant but without invasive targeting, striking a balance between revenue generation and preserving the organic user experience.